Sunday, January 17, 2010

Angels

Earlier in the day, Elsa and Lucas found a map under my bed  (Yes, I have to clean under my bed. Doing so is one of my 365 resolutions...http://365daysofresolutions.blogspot.com) and decided they wanted to gather "spy" gear and go on an adventure. Elsa asked if I would drop them off at the airport.
"Certainly," I said.
Lucas looked terrified.
"Aren't you coming with us, Mommy? I don't want to go without you," he declared with tears in his eyes.

It was at that moment I realized how connected I am with my children.

*

Later, during nap time, Lucas snuggled up next to me. He's a chatter-bug, so I knew we'd talk for a few minutes before he fell asleep.

"Mom, I don't want you to die. I know you say that Heaven is a nice place, but here is a nice place, too. And we really need you here."

Again, he had tears in his eyes. He's always so chipper...singing, skipping, making jokes, smiling. This meloncholy moment was not one that I've experienced often with him. I was choked up. I was going to soothe his mind by offering comforting words, but he continued...

"You need to make sure that when you die, you take the picture of me and Elsa...the one in our room...with you, so you don't forget us."

No comments: