Thursday, March 18, 2010

Always Make Time To Play

Elsa and I had some quality time the other day - just the two of us. We were on the sofa, sprawled out -she was at one end and I was at the other end, rubbing her feet. Out of the blue, she announced that she has made some changes to her plans regarding her future;

"Mom, remember how I said I wanted to be a baby doctor on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and have bake sales on Saturdays?"

"Yes, I remember."

"Well, let me tell you what I've been thinking. I'm going to be a pop star. I like to SSSIIIINNNGGG (she sang the word sing)! But, I still want to be a doctor and make sweets. I can sing at night and do all of the other stuff during the day. Is that a good idea?"

"It sounds as though you've been doing alot of thinking about the sort of work you'd like to do. It's a full schedule you have. I'm wondering when you are going to have time to play?"

"Hmmmmm, that's a good point. Let me think about that."

Later...

"Mom, instead of being a pop star, I'm going to sing to my baby patients when they come to see me on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. And I don't have to have bake sales. I'll just make treats to take to work or give to the neighbors like you do. I'll have so much more free time this way."

Smart cookie.

No comments: