Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Boogers

Seriously folks, throw me a line. Let me know what you want to read and discuss. I can guarantee you that I'll have an opinion. And that I want to hear about yours!

Since parenting is noted first in my title, I think I'll ask for help with a recent revelation.

Yesterday, I was driving home with the kiddos in the back seat. It was way too quiet in the car, so I glanced in my rear view mirror to see why there wasn't any fussing going on. To my horror, I saw my adorable daughter staring out the window with her finger shoved up her nose. I gasped. She heard me. So, she pulled her finger out from her nose and stuck it in her mouth. Yuck! This is the same mouth that wants kisses all morning, noon, and night. This is a child who won't eat peas, or sauce on her spaghetti, yet she has no problem sticking a booger in her mouth.

Except for flinching and saying "EEEWWWWWW," I really didn't make that big of a deal out of it. Maybe I should have? She has enough to worry about - taking her library books back on time, if she should ride her scooter or her bike, and whether or not wearing purple socks with her tennis shoes is considered a fashion faux pas (even though they absolutely matched her skirt) - so I didn't want to stress her out.

This incident got me to thinking though about why people pick their noses. Boredom? Habit? Hungry?

This week, instead of playing the same ole' "I Spy" in the car with the kids - I spy something green, I spy something red, I spy something round - we're going to change it up a bit. I'm only going to have them "I spy" nose pickers! We can get a grasp on how many people are actually guilty of such a thing, as well as talk about how disgusting it is. Maybe making it fun will help her realize it's not acceptable? Or maybe it will backfire and she'll think that if everyone else is doing it, then it's ok? I don't know...maybe we should stick to "I spy" something green.

5 comments:

Niffer said...

Interesting! How old are your children?

My daughter is still only 18 months and so we haven't gotten to this point yet. I do know, though, that if I say "Ewwww" she'll just do more of whatever it is that I'm grossed out about. I'm sure that's the age she is, though, but I would love to hear how your "I spy" game turns out!

JabberJaws said...

She just started kindergarten, so I'm sure there is alot of observing of other kids. Oh, the peer pressure to pick!

Anonymous said...

I always tell our oldest if she wants to eat her boogers, I'll serve her a bowl of them for dinner. That usually stops the madness.

JabberJaws said...

That is hysterical about the bowl of boogers!

Pandora's Aquarium said...

That's a great idea. Mike and I take plenty of road trips- I think we'll play that game next time! LOL I think it's a great idea to help get your kids in the mindset of 'hey, nose picking is not cool'. But meh, I'm no parent, just a human.

Mwuah!!

Geri
Geri