Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Plated Metals

In February, I blogged on http://365daysofresolutions/ about friends who make their way back into your life...and you're so re-connected, it's as though you were never separated.

I had been blessed, so I thought, with that type of relationship...I called it silver and gold, after the Girl Scout song we use to sing in rounds while sitting about the campfire...

"Make new friends, but keep the old
One is silver ,and the other gold."

I felt as I had been given such a treasure in that friendship, since it isn't every day that God places someone from our past so solidly on our current path.

Eventually, I came to the realization that my beautiful silver and gold gift wasn't real...it was plated, faux...and it broke easier than I would have ever imagined. I kept trying to polish the friendship and make it shine again. Instead, it crumbled...I couldn't repair it.

Losing a bond that I thought was so strong was - and has been - devastating to me. I'm unsettled...maybe due more to my naivety in believing that relationships are precious, than to the actual loss, but unsettled, nonetheless.

This feeling of sadness hit home again the other night as I stood, watching a group of girls take hold of each others hands during a scout meeting. And in unison they began to sing...

No comments: